The Boat People (Part 1)

The Boat People. Amazon, 2 Jan. 2018, images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/      51S9n7rq98L._SX342_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg. Accessed 30 Nov. 2018. Advertisement.
       
        I am back with a brand new book, and It is just awesome! I am not only going to talk about how exciting I found this book, but also what is it that makes it unique. The Boat People. The book that can deliver the different perspectives to the reader in one of the most controversial topics. Refugees. Even in the current time, people are having trouble grasping the concept of refugees. This is mainly caused by politics and news. Unfortunately, the news is not always unbiased, or they tend to write about the critical things that can make it to the front page. And these headlines are generally about the negative sides of the situation. No matter how people try to sympathize with the refugees, they are having a hard time keeping up. They do not know how to react to the situation because It is one of the subjects that is not taught to the kids or even adults. What are the impacts? Why is it important? What is the suffering country going through? Why are these refugees are coming in? These are some of the questions that need to be answered, and The Boat People serves an excellent purpose for this. It forces the reader to think for the characters and understand where they come from. The ironic thing that this book made me realize is that most of the people do not learn from the news but from a fiction book like The Boat People. Before going into the book, I want to mention that It is not easy to express an opinion or write, on this topic. So let's give a round of applause for Sharon Bala.


Applause. Giphy, media.giphy.com/media/26DOoDwdNGKAg6UKI/giphy.gif. Accessed 30 Nov. 2018.

There's always a rainbow after the rain falls


       I want everyone to think about this sentence as we go along because It has a connection with the book. Our protagonist Mahindan, the refugee who escapes from Sri Lanka, survives from a tragedy and wants to start a new life by getting on to a boat. The first chapter describes the environment in the boat and what they are going through. People are packed, and some have wounds. They are dirty since they could not wash themselves during the whole trip. All of this hardship was only to get to Canada. We can associate this trip with the rain. When it rains, It is dark outside with almost black clouds. No one is on the streets, and even if they are, they would probably try to run away from it. But at the end of the trip, Mahindan and Sellian get to Canada, and their "new life" begins. "Mahindan had always thought of Canada as a country of whites, but now he saw dark eyes too, Chinese and Japanese and Black and others who might have come from India or Bangladesh. Here was a place for all people" (Bala 14). His thoughts and emotions show his hope for the future. The fact that Canada welcomes all kind of people thrills Mahindan. Suddenly he sees a future for him and his son. Them arriving in Canada is the rainbow after the rain. The clouds are gone now along with the terror of getting hurt. It is ironic because they are imprisoned after he thought Canada welcomes everyone, and it is his new home.

       I think Mahindan's, and other refugees', thought of getting a new job and a new life also relates to the concept of the American Dream. Regardless of one’s race, nationality, class or gender, the concept suggests that a person can gain wealth, success and dreams through hard work. Even though the setting is in Canada, the same concept applies. "Learn English, get a job, find a small place to live" (...) The brutal thing lying behind this concept is its unrealistic essence. Not everyone will get a fair evaluation of job interviews. Even the applicant's name on their resume matters. Considering Mahindan's situation and him being a refugee, It is not realistic for him to think that he can learn English and get a job when he gets out of jail. My opinion is, in the future, even though they set Mahindan free, it is not going to be easy.


Rainbow Wow. Giphy, media.giphy.com/media/lcWrmuB2gAcVy/giphy.gif. Accessed 30 Nov. 2018.

       The new beginning might sound positive and exciting, but it brings a lot of downsides with it. One of the significant disadvantages is the language barrier Mahindan is going through along with the stressful state he is in. "That's right. You don't know. I don't know either. Neither of us knows" (Bala 126). From Mahindan's tone, the reader can understand that he is frustrated when he does not know what comes after R in the alphabet. Of course, this is not the only reason. His frustration is a combination of being imprisoned, not knowing the cause, cannot express himself, new environment etc. I personally can relate to stage Mahindan is going through in this part of the book. When I first moved to New Jersey from Turkey, I also had some problems with the language. Even though I knew the essential phrases to express myself, I could not get into a conversation with others. After all those years of independence, people become dependent on someone who knows English. It is already hard getting used to a new environment, but when the language barrier kicks in, it makes you feel like you do not know anything. As if you are a little kid and no one takes you seriously because you do not know how to express yourself.

I don't know. Giphy, media.giphy.com/media/xUNda1QKHViLZuxtra/giphy.gif. Accessed 30 Nov. 2018.


       We can also say their imprisonment can be the "rainy" times they are going through. I feel like in the next chapters of the book, they will eventually get out of prison and start a new life. All of them will hopefully be able to look back at their times when they first came to Canada. I think Mahindan's main reason to get on to that boat is his son. Before even Sellian was born "[Mahindan] wanted their children to have more choices" (Bala 74). Instead of staying in Sri Lanka and giving Sellian the future of a mechanic, he wanted to provide him with more choices. And Canada is one of the best opportunities Mahindan can give to Sellian's future. Mahindan's sacrifices for Sellian also reminds me of my dad and him moving to the US with us. Mahindan had two choices. He could have stayed in Sri Lanka and keep going with his stable job, or he could have moved to Canada with Sellian to start a new future, but it would be unclear what that life would bring to him. My dad also had to go through the same decision. He could have stayed in Turkey and keep working in the company, or he can move to the US with us to improve his and our education as well as getting a new job. Now that I can look back at those times, my family and I think we made the right choice. I also believe after the hard times Mahindan is going through, he'll be glad he made the right decision.

       "There is always a rainbow after the rain falls." After every obstacle, people gain success. After every struggle, people have happiness. After every tragedy, people become stronger. Just like when "Mahindan saw the flat line on the screen at the same moment he heard their son give a full and hearty wail" (187) Even though it is tragic Mahindan loses her wife, the moment Mahindan loses Chithra, he has Sellian. And Sellian is a new beginning for him. For the first time in his life, Mahindan learns to be a parent and protecting Sellian almost with his life, and I think he will keep experiencing new things in his life through Sellian. 

Do you guys also remember a time where there was a "rainbow after the rainfall"? Do you think this concept applies to The Boat People? Let me know

See you guys next week!

         

Comments

  1. Hey Zeynep!
    I loved reading about your opinion on the topics that we've seen so far in the novel. I really love your optimism and your quote, and I'm really hoping that we can see a turn for the better in the next chapters.
    I'm really thankful that I immigrated to Canada when I was young enough to be used to this culture, but I know that language and culture was a problem for my parents, so I see what you're saying with Mahindan's struggle to communicate.
    I'm excited to see what you have to say about the comng chapters of the book! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zeynep
    I really appreciate your take on the quote "There is always a rainbow after rain falls. I think Mahindan follows this line so well in his life. He is always optimistic about hsi future and whenever he is down he constantly is reminded that his son's future is also at stake. As people I also think we should take things less seriously and look to a more positive side in life.
    These three perspectives really interest me in all but what I want to ask the author is why choose theses specifics personalities for each character. I think the diversity in critical thought is really interesting. Mahindan is shown to be hopeful and positive with a strong will, in contraste Grace always kind of sees things as a struggle, maybe she is just stressed and confused?. I think Priya is the most interesting character in the novel due to her curiosity and role in the book. But I really pay attention to Grace's chapters more. Seeing the mind behind an adjudicator is really different from what I thought.

    Great post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zeynep,
    Your blog is very well-written and is very inspiring! I agree that quote "There is always a rainbow after rain falls" relates to the book but it also relates to everyone's life! As important the rainbow in one's life, I think its so important for one to always remember and identify the rainfall. It is often the tough times (rainfall) that makes us strong enough to too the rainbow!! In this case, Mahindan remains hopeful and constantly shows that which foreshadows possible rainbows! In my family's case, the rainfall would have been my dad living through a civil war and rainbow would be the fact that he was very fortunate to immigrate to Canada with my Mom and I. My father's case is surprisingly quite similar to Mahindan's case and it seems that around the world, with many civil conflicts, there are more and more innocent people being affected by the rainfall and I hope that in the near future they see a rainbow. Amazing blog! Keep it up!
    Nour Abdulkhalek

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts