The Namesake (Part 1)


        Honestly, before reading this book, I thought it was gonna be super boring (at least for few chapters) but It actually didn't turn out like that. You can relate to almost all of the events that are happening and It helps you to get an understanding of other cultures. It focuses on multiple different topics in only four chapters such as immigration, naming, re-birth... I already wanna read the other chapters but I waited to write this blog. Also when I read ahead, I spoil all of the other chapters. I hate when people tell me what happens at the end of the book I'm reading. 


        Anyways, there is a reason why I chose the title "from an immigrant perspective" for my blog. I lived in different countries as Turkey and USA before coming to Canada. And after reading The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, I found very strong connections with the characters and what they've gone through.


        What I found interesting about this book is, even though people have different cultures and personalities, they often go through the exact same feelings and stages of culture shock when they leave their home. It takes a different period of times for adaptation on each person individually, but they all go through the same process. Excitement, frustration, surface adjustments, cultural/personal issues, and adaptation. When I first moved to America with my family, I've gone through the same stages. I was excited at first to learn English and live in a different country, but once I started going to my school, it was frustrating. I had so much to learn, so many things to do in order to fit in. First two months, I just wanted to go back to Turkey and go back to my old life where I was comfortable. But once I accepted the fact that New Jersey is my home, and learnt more about the culture, I started feeling more comfortable. I got used to the language, the system in New Jersey, and to my new friends.

(Few weeks into a new country)

(Next few months)


        Now let's think about the character Ashima. She makes it so obvious throughout these chapters that she misses her home back in Calcutta. I think the biggest reason for this is because she moves to America unwillingly (it was not her decision). When she first moved to Massachusetts with Ashoke, she goes out for shopping and exploring. When she comes home, she talks about her times outside which shows her excitement. But later on, it turns into anxiety and frustration for her. She is homesick and alone all the time because Ashoke is busy studying. She finds it challenging and difficult because it's so much different than Calcutta. “For being a foreigner Ashima is beginning to realize, is a sort of lifelong pregnancy -- a perpetual wait, a constant burden, a continuous feeling out of sorts. It is an ongoing responsibility, a parenthesis in what had once been an ordinary life, only to discover that previous life has vanished, replaced by something more complicated and demanding.” (Lahiri 49-50). But as the time passes by, eventually, they start getting to know people, finding Bengali friends (which I think is a huge motivation for Ashima), and get comfortable with their new home. Once Ashima gives birth to Gogol and Sonia, we can see her shift in the story from her depressed times to parenting times.
        
        Ashima, of course was not the only character I related. Also, Gogol made me realize that most people don't like their names until one point they realize every name is unique in its own way. What do I mean by that? Every name demontrate people's background, culture or even their personalities. Have you guys ever thought about changing your name, especially when you were little? Well I did. And most of the people I knew back then also wanted to have another name. "I'm Nikhil, he says for the first time in his life" (Lahiri 96). Gogol is finally satisfied with his name when he can just expresses himself as Nikhil. It was his choice and I think he feels more independent from his parents. But I have a strong feeling he is going to regret not appreciating the name (Gogol) that was given to him by his parents. Gogol is not just a name by a Russian author, but it's the author of the book which saved Ashoke's life.



        Similarly, I didn't like my name when I was a kid. I didn't like it because it was too common in Turkey. There were at least two or three Zeynep in one classroom, and it got to the point that the teachers started to assign numbers to our names. Like Zeynep 1, Zeynep 2, and Zeynep 3. I was number 2 by the way. I wanted my name to feel unique so, in middle school, I started introducing myself with my middle name, Sude. Just like Gogol introducing himself as Nikhil. I felt more comfortable and confident in my name just because it was not common. I got to admit it, it felt really good at first. But, then, somethings made me realize I should be way more confident with using my first name rather than my middle name. When I moved to New Jersey, they started calling me Zeynep. There were two main reasons that changed my mind on my first name. First one was the fact that I was the only international student in New Jersey (only one with non-American background), and people found my name really interesting. They even shortened it because some people couldn't say it, so they called me Zey. Second reason was that one time I decided to look up what Sude means, and immediately stopped using it.



        Not because it reflects my personality or anything, I just felt uncomfortable. Also, it is sort of weird how it also means "dead". Honestly, what kind of parents name their kid without looking at the meaning? Oh wait, my parents. It just didn't make sense for me to use Sude anymore. Also, I understand why my parents decided to name me Zeynep because it was my grand-grand mother's name who they admired a lot. I just respected their decision and I'm expecting the same from Gogol. Every name is unique on their own and all of them has different stories.  

        (Also, I found this Ted Talk really interesting since it talks about how our name impacts our future and personality if you want to check it out.)

         Every person reacts to this immigration process differently. It's an easy and quick process for some people, while it's a tough and long process for some other people. If you could move to a different country right now, do you guys think it would be an easy process for you? If not, why? What makes it hard? Also, did you ever wanted to change your name? 

See you guys next Thursday!!

Comments

  1. Hey Zeynep!! I really liked your blog post and found it super interesting!

    Your journey of coming to appreciate and love your name was super cool. I don't have a middle name myself, but I can also relate to the fact that you kind of need to learn how to appreciate what your name means to you!

    I have a question: how did you feel when you first starting moving and how did you learn how to cope with having to be in a new environment? I was too young to really understand what was going on when I moved to Canada so I would love to know how the process was!

    I'm excited to see what you post next, keep it up! :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. When I first started moving, I was so excited. Mostly because, in other countries that are not considered in North America, Western countries are super exaggerated. First, it felt like I was in a vacation but once I started going to my school, then it hit me. I learnt that in order to cope with my new environment, I need to get involve and push myself to learn more. That is the only way even though you can be scared or shy at first. I was also so lucky to have friends who taught me how to speak English. They are the most important part about this process.

      Delete
  2. Hi Zeynep!

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I found it very fascinating how you have your own journey with appreciating your name, just like Gogol! I think you have a very pretty name and I can see why there were 2 other people in your class with the same name!

    To answer your questions, I think it would be very hard to move to a new country because with every country comes a different environment and lifestyle which may be hard to adapt to. Although I think it would be an amazing opportunity (if you are not moving unwillingly like Ashima did), I remember how hard even adapting to a new school was for me back in the fourth grade!! I never really thought about changing my name but I have thought about what it would be like if my parents named me the name they had as another option when I was born. The name was Serena, which would sound different in Arabic yet is also a western name so I might have blended in a bit more as Serena!

    I can't wait to read your next post! I'm sure it will be just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whats up Zeynep! This is my first time reading your blog and I really like your perspective on the characters in this book. I am also reading reading "The Namesake" and I kind of agree with how you see Ashima. When I was reading through at first I felt kind of frustrated towards Ashima because of her unwillingness to explore her new home and how she was so stubborn with Gogol or making friends. But as I continued to think about Ashima really did just miss her home it wasn't like she chose to move and accustom to America. I can't imagine the difficulty of moving to a new place. From your experience I could really feel for you. Going from a Full French School to English was a bit hard for me. I didn't know how to interact with other kids, and I remember hating it and complaining to my parents about going to the French high school instead.

    To answer your question about moving to a new country I have always wanted to move back to Asia, no matter if it's my native country Vietnam, I just want to experience the different culture. I think I would definitely face some difficulties not just language but also mannerisms and just different cultural approaches in general. I think I could adapt quickly though because I can pick up subtle hints from people and I generally understand the vibe of a situation or place pretty quickly and language is only a matter of accepting and learning.

    Can't wait to see more from you next week!

    -Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Zeynep!

    It's so cool that you've lived in so many different countries! I've only lived in two places Ottawa and St. Sauver (Quebec) and they're both in the same country so it's not that big a change except for the language I guess.

    My parents are immigrants though, they moved from Scotland to Canada 20ish years ago (they still have they're accents) and they did the same as Ashima and Ashoke by making friends that are also from Scotland and we celebrate our scottish holidays with them like Burns supper and Guy Fawks nights.

    I've been back to Scotland during March break every year since grade 7 to see family (because literally all my family is in Scotland). It's not the same as moving to a different counry but living there for a week feels kind of weird especially with having to drive on the left side instead of the right. Like Gogol's relatives do when he vists them in Calcutta, my family makes fun of my canadian accent.

    I can't wait to read your next blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I forget, I AM MINH N.

    This is the first blog post that I've personally read that actually put some real meaning, thought and emotions into the text.
    I can really feel how you were able to connect with the characters and that you actually feel strongly about how you feel.

    This last part is responding to the last question:
    I don't think it would be an easy process for me to move to another country right now because I don't have any income for me to spend on a residence. My grades also aren't good enough for me to get a scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl!

    I really loved reading your post and all the connections of your life that you put into it. I think it’s really cool for you to express your thoughts and feeling that relate back to the characters in the novel. Like you, I also wanted to change my middle name. I felt that Madison was such a boring name and from kindergarten to grade eight I was always in the same class as another Madison. But here’s why I hated my name. The other Madison somehow was the only one that would be able to be called Madi and I never got that choice. I also never wanted to speak out against it because I was to shy to, so I just dealt with the fact that I would also be called Madison. When I moved to Ottawa four years ago, I finally decided I would just go by Maddie. I still give people my real name when I introduce myself and then I’ll tell them that I like the name Maddie better. This is the name my mother gave me so I have to learn to love it and I would never change it, just would rather use my nickname.

    I also think it would be so cool to move to another country but from what I’ve heard it would definitely be a really long and hard process to do so. My dream is to move to Germany and become a Psychologist and maybe teach some classes. I want to study German and be able to communicate with the citizens.

    Anyway, really great blog post I look forward to reading the next one!

    Madison T :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts